The UW Oshkosh Department of Journalism is currently revising our strategic plan that was approved on Jan. 11, 2011.
Vision, Mission and Core Values — June 5, 2015
Vision: The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Department of Journalism will be known as a top-tier mass communication department among midsize, public universities in the Midwest for successfully preparing students seeking media-related careers. We will do this through program innovations, campus collaborations and industry connections.
Mission: The department will graduate students who, having received a comprehensive liberal arts education, are intellectually curious, possess skills to complete in the global marketplace, and are able to react and adapt to changes in the industry while maintaining the highest ethical standards of fairness, truth and accuracy.
- A dynamic and inclusive departmental environment that encourages a quality educational culture and professional achievement.
- Professional ethical principles and behaviors that reflect transparency, fairness, truth, accuracy and diversity.
- A quality classroom experience with hands-on interpersonal teaching and personal investment in students that will allow our graduates to compete for careers in the global marketplace through an open-minded, critical thinking approach.
- Effective communication through multiple media in the written, visual and oral realms using current tools and technology.
- Idealistic and practical endeavors that help influence the lives of people beyond the classroom, serve the broader community and better society through research-based solutions.