Northeastern Wisconsin Scholastic Press Association (NEWSPA)
Welcome to NEWSPA!
The Northeastern Wisconsin Scholastic Press Association (NEWSPA) began in 1969 with a small group of college students traveling to local high schools, teaching students about journalism. Today, nearly 500 people participate annually in our spring conference that brings together media professionals and high school students and advisers for a day of sharing and learning. The annual conference is designed to teach students about the field of journalism through workshops, speakers and the ability to network with other schools and students.
- The 2017 NEWSPA conference will be held Wednesday, April 26 at UW Oshkosh’s Alumni Welcome and Conference Center and Gruenhagen Conference Center. Download the 2017_NEWSPA_Program to see all the great speakers lined up, or learn more about the sessions planned in our Spring 2017 Newsletter.
- Only two times still available (10:05 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.) for this year’s On-Site Newspaper Critique. Sign up early to assure your school a spot.
- Make sure your students get the most out of the 2017 conference. Download our NEWSPA Conference Educational Guide.
- The High School Journalism Institute at Indiana University in Bloomington is offering students and teacher/adviser workshops this summer. Learn more: http://mediaschool.indiana.edu/hsji/registration/
Did you know?
- NEWSPA awards one $500 scholarship to a graduating high school senior who plans on majoring in Journalism. Preference is given to those who will attend UW Oshkosh. Learn more
- NEWSPA sponsors adviser training sessions, yearbook and newspaper competitions and produces three newsletters a year. Learn more
- NEWSPA has a variety of resources available to you such as lesson plans, Powerpoints and materials from conference speakers to help you teach about journalism topics. Learn more